Monday, August 17, 2009

Road Legal At Last!

Yup - at long last the car is registered and road legal...

Sort of. On the inaugural drive the speedometer cable snapped - which is a known problem with the MX5 based Westfields, one that I was hoping to dodge. It's easy enough to replace the cable but I suspect there will be a high likelihood of this happening again unless I can somehow modify the angle at which the cable has to bend in the transmission tunnel.

I think this well and truly marks the transition from building a kit-car to the overhead involved in owning and caring for one!

I've also got a few immediate modifications to do:
  • Get some anti-stonechip film on the rear wheelarch leading surfaces
  • Replace the IVA compliant steering wheel with one that gives a bit more legroom
  • Reinstate the designed side repeaters and remove the IVA compliant ones
  • Fit the half-tonneau for the "luggage compartment"
  • Check the torque on suspension bolts
  • Add in the cargo pockets in the driver/passenger compartments
  • Get the wheel alignment professionally setup
  • Improve the calibration of the fuel gauge (it accurately informs me of the usage of about 1/4 of the fuel tank at the moment)
  • Calibrate the temperature gauge properly (I didn't set it right when re-applying the needles when I switched the gauge backs)
So plenty to do still!

But I've got to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how well behaved the car is (apart from the naughty speedo cable that is), indeed so much so that I've used it for the 100 mile+ round trip to the office a few times already without any drama. And it is great fun to drive too :D

No comments: