Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ready for IVA Test

It's been a stressful couple of weeks trying to get the last bits & pieces done so that I've got a good try at the IVA test on Tuesday.

A lot of the preparation involved sticking on protectors that came with kit - such as the dashboard crashpad, the little rubber covers for the windscreen protrusions and about 1 billion nut & bolt covers on the front suspension.


Taking a belt & bracers approach, I've also put rubber edging around the edges of the front suspension arches and then extra foam rubber on the upper balljoint, the blunt end of the upper wishbone and the adjustment ring on the base of the shock absorber. And just for good measure popped some spiwrap on the brake hoses.

Some unwelcome panic was caused by finding out from Westfield that the side indicators on the body would no longer pass IVA. I found that out on Thursday by talking to their chap that has been taking cars through the IVA test - it just goes to show that you're always better off talking to someone with actual practical experience in matters of kit car construction.

Anyway, with only 4 days to go before the test a panic was on to get hold of some stick-on indicators that needed to be fitted to the cycle wings. And the wiring (in a protective sheath of course) sent all around the chassis to be connected to where the real side indicators were. They're a bit naff, but if they get me through the test...

Oh - and I had rubberised the washers (and slightly bent them to better fit the curvature of the wings too) on the mudguards. This is for cosmetic rather than IVA reasons, and I'm certainly happier with the result than I was.

Another problem that came to light in my chat with Westfield was that the position of the fuel tank had caused some concern. As it is slung behind the suspension, in the event of a rear-end accident it would be forced into the suspension bolts and possibly punctured.

I'm not sure whether this will pass the IVA test, but I've attempted to counter this problem in two ways. Firstly I've glued a double layer of rubber sheeting between the tank and the suspension (yes - the roll bar, boot box and harness fixings all had to come off - again).

And secondly, I've put bolt caps on the heads of the bolts.


Minor things were chalking the engine number and VIN for ease of reading, a bit of a clean & polish and that was it.

I've assembled a folder full of paperwork to take. Including the original copies of the invoices I had to send in with the application, the test appointment letter and insurance certificate (just in case I'm stopped for not having a license plate/road tax).

I found getting insurance was a little tricky. The short-term insurers didn't want to touch an unregistered vehicle with a barge-pole, so I purchased a years worth of insurance using the chassis number. Possibly not the most cost-effective way of doing it, but I can always shop around at my leisure later.

All that I've got to do is stuff a backpack with tools, bolt covers, rubber edging, foam tape. And lose all the butterflies...

No comments: